Saturday, April 14, 2012

Bad day at work

There are sometimes just far too many heart-warming and wonderful, too-cute-for-words moments in pediatrics, and sometimes there are just days where you want someone to stab you in the brain with a shiv to end the misery.  I knew it was going to be a miserable day today when I was driving to work, and I pulled into the garage at 7:47 am, and got a page from a nurse "Family X wants you to discharge their before 8 am today, please do this ASAP."  Then a page 3 seconds later as I am turning off the engine, "Please call Y, Baby Z's dad anxious to discuss feeds."

No sooner had I stumbled into the hospital before nurses descending upon me with warnings about x, y, and z.  I know no one is at their best, hormonally-speaking, after giving birth, and I know that first-time parenting can be a nerve-wracking experience, but holy smokes, folks!  A pimple on your newborn's face is not reason enough to yell at the poor nurse and threaten to sue the hospital because the doctor-on-call wasn't alerted of it the night before.  The day kind of just dragged on with annoying little tid bits like this.  Everyone's emotional excess baggage could not fit into the overhead bins, and everyone was throwing a hissy fit about having to check it or pay extra to have it checked.


No comments:

Post a Comment